Saturday, April 25, 2015

Home Away From Home (by Jennings)




Tomorrow I go to Goma for another 2-week visit with the translation team. When I was leaving from my last visit, in December, one of the team members (far right below) said aloud what I was also thinking: it was actually hard to say good-bye. We've always had a friendly relationship, but we've spent so much time together now that there is a depth to that relationship that wasn't there in the first years. I was deeply touched when he said that... and a little scared... great, another chance to suffer, more people to miss. But that's part of the deal, a blessing that is precious and painful.



Goma is one of the biggest cities in Congo, over a million people. But when I'm there, unless there's a good reason (like illness), I only see it on my way in and out. There is a lot of crime in the city, and the team don't want people knowing that a foreigner is staying at the translation office compound. It could attract thieves or worse. So, during the visit, I generally don't leave the compound. There is a large, brick building for the office and a small, wooden house for the caretaker and his family (wife and 6 children). 

So, the translation office has become a kind of home away from home. I have my routines and habits there, like I do at home. During week days, I'm with the translation team all day, for work, meals and discussion. After work, I might play with the kids a little, then go in my room and "exercise" for about half an hour (mostly jumping around or jogging in place in the space next to the bed, below). Then my bath water is ready around 6 and dinner is around 7. Then I lock myself in for the night.
My room
Pounding greens for dinner
On the evenings and weekends, the translators are at their homes, and I'm with the caretaker and his family. I've watched his 6 children grow. The oldest, a young man finishing high school, lives with extended family now. 

Aimée, who was a baby when I first started coming, is 5. (A fun conversation with her from last year.) 


We have our weekend routines. Or rather, they have their family routines and I'm there, too. On Saturday evening, after dinner, they come in the office to listen to a radio show and play cards.

Saturday night entertainment: listening to the radio and playing cards
Showing off their homemade cards, made from bits of cardbox box.
On Sunday evenings, we watch a movie on my computer (they don't have a TV or any other way to see video). It's been a challenge to come up with something appropriate for all ages, that isn't too dependent on dialogue (I can find things dubbed in French, but not Swahili, so that doesn't help the mother or the younger children.) The favorite so far has been Charlie Chaplin's "Gold Rush". They laugh and laugh, even the littlest ones, especially at the scene where the house is tipping over the edge of the mountain. It's a bit hard to explain snow, but at least the small, clapboard cabin looks a lot like their own house. We skip the dance-hall scenes (confusing). They also really liked Jungle Book, especially the music. This time, we'll try "The Nativity" and "Madagascar".

Serious family pose after Sunday night movie. (The youngest picked up Tembo books, to show they love to read.)
On my last night, I take a photo of the whole family, and then individual photos of each child and of the parents. Actually, any time is a good time for a photo... they are real hams.


Manu and Safi... with a photo bomb in the background.

Close-up of the photo bomb. This child is the family entertainer.

Safi showing her playful side, with serious Manu on her hip.
I've also taught them a few songs, though my repertoire is not great. I happened to know "Head, shoulders, knees and toes" in English, French and Swahili, and I taught it to them on my first visit, years ago. They often greet me with that when I first arrive. In December, we sang "Love the Lord Your God" (from Cottonpatch Gospel) and put it roughly into French and Swahili. They are good sports. Just wish I had better material.

Honestly, even though traveling is a big part of my job, I'm not crazy about it. I like being at home, with Douglas, with my own stuff and routine. But the translation team, and especially the caretaker and his family, have made Goma a home away from home for me. It will be good to see them all.
View from the front porch of the translation office, towards Lake Kivu, at sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment